Friday, June 19, 2009

Rumble and Tumble.

Tidbits: Currently in front of the laptop with my Critical Thinking Skills textbook beside me. No prizes for guessing which one I chose. What a no-brainer.


Never mind, I shall do my revision here.
I present to you,

The Strategies for Avoiding Fallacies!
In case you don't know, fallacies are arguments that appear right at first but upon a deeper look, it is not. (i remembered! so proud of myself)

Strategy #1 : Know Yourself
Knowing yourself allows you to identify which fallacy you're most likely to fall for and makes it easier to avoid it. For example, Nigel knows he is so verbal-linguistically intelligent he commits the fallacy of Begging the Question. In layman's term- beating around the bush. Therefore, from now onwards I will just call you stupid when I think you are instead of going in circles (I wonder how many marks I'll get if I use this example in my exam). Besides, I think the 'in your face' thing is getting hip. Everything's directed right at ya.

Strategy#2 : Build Your Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem
Having a high self-esteem will definitely help you to avoid the Popular Appeal Fallacy. Example, everyone thinks Megan Fox is hot and forms a cult worshipping her. The moment someone says she's actually a man, everyone goes eeewww. Conformity at its best.

Strategy#3 : Cultivate Good Listening Skills
Having good listening skills allow you to be respectful of other people's views and identify fallacies when there is a conflict in opinions. Well, the listening skill is something I pride myself upon. Those bunch of monkey librarians in SMKDJ are hopefully taking heed of my advice.

Strategy #4 : Avoid ambiguous and vague terms and faulty grammar
Cultivate good communication and writing skills. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unclear (something that is definitely rare for Msian students)

Strategy 4.1.1 : Go to Facebook and continue later....
There are a few more, and I'm rather lazy uninspired to continue. Actually, I wanted to prove that even with technology, one is able to concentrate and not get distracted, and it can also be used as an 'effective' method for more interactive learning. Well.............halfway there. =)
I think I have a lovehate relationship with Mark Zuckerberg.

No comments: